23 August 2009

I'm so sure this outs me as a huge dork.

But I don't care.

I just discovered Denis Brown and his artwork google-image-searching for calligraphy/calligraphic lines.


And those two pieces in detail almost--almost--made me cry.

I guess as a result, I have an admission to make: despite the fact that I experience, teach, make art in my daily life, I rarely get emotional about it. There have been a handful of times that I've actually come to tears or been stopped in my tracks looking at someone's work. I can name them all right now, actually:
  1. Visiting the Guggenheim in Venice, Italy and finding a Joseph Cornell box perched on top of one of the fireplace mantles. I had no idea they had a piece of his there and never expected to see his artwork in person in my lifetime. I couldn't blink.

  2. Figuring out that the Kunsthistorisches Museum in Vienna was holding a temporary Giuseppe Arcimboldo exhibit while I was there.
  3. And seeing the Venus of Willendorf (or Woman of Willendorf as it's referred to now) in a tiny, black room with one spotlight on it. I don't think I said a word for the next hour.
Anyway. I'm writing lesson plans and making PowerPoints. Procrastinating at the moment. Haha.

No comments: