05 May 2010

there's no union.

Now two (possibly three) of my personal friends have lost their Art teaching jobs. In the last week. One from my own district. And another from Paulding County with whom I graduated.

There's also some confusion over RIFed teachers accepting non-renewal or choosing resignation and the implications of each. The information is just surfacing and it's depressing, to say the least: If a teacher accepts non-renewal, she is eligible to collect unemployment benefits. But to prospective employers, a contract that hasn't been renewed, "is like a scarlet letter pinned on a teacher." Huge red flag. Most districts won't consider an application from non-renewed candidates. If a teacher chooses, instead, to resign, she is no longer eligible for unemployment, but her resume is safe.

Fucking bullshit. Just bullshit. There's no other word for it. I already asked my mom today, how many more ways can they fuck us? They being Sonny Purdue and his cronies, that apologist Uncle Tom Kathy Cox, and, in some cases, even our own school districts.

I want to write more about this. There's a lot I want to write. Maybe I will soon. I'm drained for now.

More Field Day tomorrow. Today was fun. We even had a cook out.

No comments: