21 July 2008

(boring) beginnings.

I have finally made the decision to follow suit and create a blog to document the things that are happening in my life currently. While I've used livejournal in the past, I haven't published one of these things. It seems like the appropriate time--a new job, new home, new life (?)--but I'm not sure, exactly, what direction it will take. I suppose we'll see about that in the coming weeks.

I imagine I should start with some sort of update? Speaking of that new job: I recently received my certification from the Georgia Professional Standards Commission. Even more than landing the job itself, this makes me feel like a real educator; the requirements are somewhat stringent. Earning it is fantastic. Unreal, actually. I'm probably in for a rude awakening on the first day of school. Heh. That school, by the way, is Love T. Nolan Elementary in College Park, just south of Atlanta, near the airport. It's around 30 years old but has been kept up really well. I'm the full-time Art teacher there now, with my own room and everything. Blown away. Denise Jennings submitted my name for the opening and it was offered to me the day after my interview. I've been told it's, "the best position in South Fulton." I've got 'em fooled! Haha.

In general, I am the happiest I've ever been. Single for at least a year now and actually enjoying it. I've been genuinely interested in just a couple of people, but things haven't worked out--probably for the better, considering the amount of responsibility I've taken on and the proverbial list of things I'd like to do independently.

I've gotten closer to my family, my little brother in particular. He is one of my best friends. They moved recently, too; from Forsyth County to Buckhead. It's nice having them so close. Or it was: now I've moved south nearer Nolan ES. The only drawback is the distance between myself and Judy and the kids. I can't swing by when I'm visiting Mom and Dad anymore. And since Rolf died unexpectedly last year, I feel like I need to be available to them whenever they need me--as a nanny or a friend.

Since Rolf's death, there have been three others: Annie, Lucy, and Aunt Delle. None of this is really anything I've had to deal with in the past. Every once in a while I'll realize that neither of my father's parents are in good health and that they may not be at my wedding--assuming I have one--or ever meet my children--those, I'll definitely have. I try my hardest to avoid that train of thought, though, because I'll recall my parents' own mortality. Or my siblings'. Heartbreaking. I could barely handle my cat running away last weekend; I cried all day when I realized she was gone.

Quickly, I'll sum up the summer so far:

  • Job offer;
  • Graduation;
  • Europe;
  • Funeral;
  • Losing new(er) friends;
  • Reconnecting with old friends;
  • Kidney stones and money trouble;
  • Runaway cat;
  • Certification;
  • The hardest thing I've ever been through.
Lots of ups and downs. I might expand on some of those when I'm not so tired. For now, I'm through.

EDIT:


I am still Straight Edge.



No comments: