23 July 2008

things unfolding.

So. There have been some really interesting developments amidst the Traynors and O'Bryans over the last few days. The pseudo-family-secret-unravelling sort of developments.

On a trip to Montgomery with my mom several months ago, a thought struck me and I decided to ask her if Mama--her mother--had ever been married before she and my biological grandfather--who died when my mom was 19 and whom I never knew--were married. Reluctantly, she said yes, briefly explained, and threatened my life if I ever told Mama what she'd said. Not really. I quickly followed that inquiry with the next logical question: Did they have any children?

Well, they had. Two sons. But my grandmother and her first husband ended up separating, Mama gave up custody of the boys, and lost touch with that side of our family over the years.

Fast forward to this week: a young woman emailed my sister recently and mentioned a possible family tie. Long-story-short, we've all come to the conclusion that she is the daughter of one of my grandmother's children from her first marriage! My cousin.

Really interesting stuff. The resemblance between this new-found cousin and my mom is uncanny. I'll have to post pictures.




Gotta go. Lots more time to waste.

No comments: