08 October 2009

just saying.

Also, for everyone who's ever asked me, "So, what do you do with them? Finger paint?" here's the latest draft of Georgia Performance Standards for Art Education:


https://www.georgiastandards.org/Standards/Pages/BrowseStandards/FineArts.aspx


Until now, we've been using Quality Core Curriculum--otherwise known as QCCs--as the benchmark/outline for instruction. But the entire state is gradually making a shift to GPS--standards that build on one another from previous year(s) of learning e.g. student learns basics of Georgia history in kindergarten; in first grade, student reviews learning from previous year and instructor expands on it, including more detail and additional information. This'll continue throughout the student's grade school career.


In short: No. I do not finger paint with my students. I teach them about Japan and the art of Sumi-e. What it's like to be a student a world away. What the Four Gentlemen are and how to paint them using a bamboo brush. And they make me artwork that looks like this:



That's the project my fourth graders just finished. I am so unbelievably proud of them. They rule.

No comments: