The Woes of Formal Observations. . . and some tips for getting through them!
The idea for this post struck me today while I was slicing paper for veggie prints on my industrial-sized paper cutter and suddenly remembered that I dreamt about being observed just last night. Yes, my work life is officially invading not only my personal life--but my slumber! Yeesh.
Now, I've had my share of really good and, well, really bad observations since I started this first year. The good ones serving as a huge source of pride and reassurance. The yuck ones, flat-out defeating at times. This can be especially difficult for me because--like a lot of teachers--I tend to wear my heart on my sleeve. I haven't found my emotional On/Off switch just yet and on more than one occasion, I've let a less-than-satisfactory formal get under my skin and affect my teaching the next day, sometimes two.
After a particularly disheartening conference, the teacher whom I replaced here at Nolan happened to stop by. Here is some of her veteran advice:
- Act natural! Don't stiffen up or misplace your personality simply because your principal, AP, or CST just walked in. If your unique teaching style is successful day-to-day, maintain that mood. Your kids won't respond the same way if you suddenly shut down or get rigid and you'll be obviously uncomfortable.
- Acknowledge the observer! Let her know you are aware of--and appreciate--her presence. Invite her in, have the children say, "Hello, Ms. Principal!" and let your observer join in the learning. I, too, was under the impression that teachers should act as though there's no one watching. Really bringing your observer into your learning environment can lower everyone's guard and lighten the mood for you.
- Review! Don't be afraid to re-address points you've already covered. If your AP walks in halfway through a lesson or misses your introduction completely, review! Asking students to fill in the observer themselves is a great way to do this and show the outside party that your kids are retaining what they're being taught.
- Take charge! Stay positive and be strategic. Give yourself the best odds. For example, when an observer walks in late and you don't have time to review or it's only going to interrupt the flow of the lesson, ask them to stay for the beginning of your next class! Not only will they see something special or required they may have just missed, you'll have the advantage of knowing about their presence in advance--even if it's only a few minutes.
Still needs some finishing touches. You know, like a conclusion or whatever. Haha. I'm trying to sound as personable as possible without seeming flakey (in other words, I'm attempting to trick the reader).
Eddie's farewell dinner tonight. Not excited about him leaving at all. Particularly after Dooley's news the other evening.
Confused, as usual. And another catalyst seems to have been thrown in the mix. I'm clueless for the most part and unsure myself. Ugh. If you could only see my eyes rolling. You'd think I was one of my students.
Um. Some strange number just called me. On that note, I'm signing off and taking a much-needed shower. If I can squeeze a nap in, even better.

No comments:
Post a Comment